JobsView all vacancies
Engineering ManagerApply Now
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to join our independent games studio in Farringdon, Central London, England. Payload Studios are makers of the award-winning TerraTech and we also operate the Tentacle Zone, a community led developer network.
As an Engineering Manager at Payload you will be a dedicated mentor and manager of people, with an ability to communicate confidently and a desire to help people to excel. You will join an experienced team, working closely with our Technical Director and Technical Leads to grow, nurture and empower our team of programmers. You will work across projects, and with individuals, to ensure the team understands and delivers work efficiently, using effective planning and prioritisation to drive execution to the highest standards.
Alongside our Technical Director you will contribute to overall technological strategy, while effectively managing programming resources and applying industry best practice across all technical operations.
What you’ll be doing
- Manage resource allocation across all projects
- Support, coach and mentor Team Leads
- Work with the Technical Director, Department Heads and Technical Leads to:
- Drive execution, managing priorities across multiple teams and projects
- Evaluate scope, requirements, technical design and feasibility for upcoming work
- Plan and execute a roadmap for development tools and asset pipelines
- Ensure quality and timely delivery of all technical work
- Troubleshoot on both human and technical levels
- Manage technical proposals, documentation and costing
- Manage the long term growth of the Tech Department, including:
- Interviewing, onboarding, training and mentoring of new programmers
- The advancement of software development standards and industry best practices
Required Skills and Experience
- An excellent leader and communicator, who can motivate people and inspire them to be their best selves
- Proven ability to mentor and manage multiple teams, through the full development lifecycle
- A passionate technologist who keeps up with the latest trends
- A veteran developer with a thorough understanding in key areas, including Agile development, back-end & cloud services, security vulnerabilities and risk management, testing and reliability, tools & asset pipeline, documentation
Benefits and Perks
- We are, and always will be, a no crunch studio
- We offer a generous family policy including 8 weeks fully paid paternity leave and 6 months fully paid maternity leave.
- To support our team’s wellbeing we offer an Eyecare scheme, Employee Assistance Programme (which includes mental health support) and trained Mental Health First Aiders.
- Great central London office location near to several excellent food markets and lots of great pubs and restaurants. The office also comes equipped with free fruit and refreshments, an arcade machine and table football.
- Regular staff socials (always with non-alcoholic options available) including our well-known Summer and Christmas parties. We also encourage staff to take part in lunchtime clubs such as Magic the Gathering, Book Club or Table Football.
- For cycling fans our Cycle to Work Scheme enables employees to save money and spread the cost of a new bike.
We’re an award-winning indie studio based in Farringdon, Central London. We share our offices with other independent developers as part of the co-working space we offer (The Tentacle Zone). Our office also has an event space and we run regular events for the Payload team as well as the wider games community.
Payload Studios recently announced that Tencent, a leading internet and technology company, has invested a minority stake in Payload. This investment will support the growth of our team and development of future titles with Payload’s signature community-driven model. We have a major announcement later this year about what’s coming next from Payload.
At the moment, due to COVID-19, we are working remotely but will be returning to the office once it is safe to do so (the safety of our Payloaders is our number one priority). Once we have returned to the office there will be the option to work from home on a part-time basis.
Inclusion and Diversity at Payload Studios
Payload is proud to have a hugely talented team and we are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming workplace for all our staff. Our diversity initiative, Game On, encompasses all the steps we are taking to promote and support inclusion and diversity within our studio. We also run Game On events with the aim of accelerating positive change in the wider industry.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity within our teams.Apply Now
Don't see the role for you?
We're always interested to hear from talented people looking for a new challenge! Please send us your CV and let us know why you'd like to join the Payload team.Submit CV