JobsView all vacancies
Senior Game DesignerApply Now
Payload Studios are looking for a Senior Game Designer to join our independent studio based in Farringdon, London (currently working remotely).
What you’ll be doing
You’ll be helping us to make TerraTech, our award winning sandbox adventure game where players design and build their own creations through a mix of crafting, combat and discovery.
This role will be a key part of our Design team utilising the whole range of design skills and taking ownership of core parts of our games. You’ll also be working closely with other teams in the studio.
Responsibilities for this role include:
- Help build new games from the ground up as well as design new content for existing titles.
- Lead multi-discipline feature groups, working with a team to develop and deliver new systems and features.
- Communicate your designs clearly through documentation, mockups, diagrams, discussions and presentations.
- Work on prototypes, developing compelling and innovative gameplay by scripting and building new modes, missions and levels.
- Respond to feedback and data, identify issues, brainstorm solutions and pitch them to the wider team.
- Take a hand in steering the narrative of our games by writing character dialogue, descriptions and missions.
- Monitor and maintain a high level of quality in our work, prioritising the player’s experience.
- Play and analyse the wider gaming market to maintain an expert knowledge for game design practices, trends and solutions.
- Help mentor junior members of the team.
- 5 years of experience working in a game design role
- Creative problem solving and communication skills
- Technical scripting and level design experience
- Experience leading multi-discipline teams of developers
We’re an award winning indie studio based in Farringdon, Central London. We share our offices with other independent developers as part of the co-working space we offer (The Tentacle Zone). Our office also has an event space and we run regular events for the Payload team as well as the wider games community.
At the moment, due to COVID-19, we are working remotely but will be returning to the office once it is safe to do so (the safety of our Payloaders is our number one priority). Once we have returned to the office there will be the option to work from home on a part-time basis.
The studio offers a range of benefit for all our employees:
- For cycling fans our Cycle to Work Scheme enables employees to save money and spread the cost of a new bike.
- To support our team’s wellbeing we offer an Eyecare scheme, Employee Assistance Programme (which includes mental health support) and trained Mental Health First Aiders.
- We offer a generous family policy including 8 weeks fully paid paternity leave and 6 months fully paid maternity leave.
- Great central London office location near to several excellent food markets and lots of great pubs and restaurants. The office also comes equipped with free fruit and refreshments, an arcade machine and table football.
- We love to socialise and celebrate together and hold regular staff socials including our well known Summer and Christmas parties. We also encourage staff to take part in lunchtime clubs such as Magic the Gathering, Book Club or Table Football.
- Since working remotely we’ve been hosting a regular mini quiz and coffee break clubs to help staff stay connected and social.
The salary for this role is dependent on experience.
Inclusion and Diversity at Payload Studios
Payload is proud to have a hugely talented team and we are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming workplace for all our staff. Our diversity initiative, Game On, encompasses all the steps we are taking to promote and support inclusion and diversity within our studio. We also run Game On events with the aim of accelerating positive change in the wider industry.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity within our teams.Apply Now
Don't see the role for you?
We’re always looking out for new talent - please send us your CV and let us know how you’d fit in with Payload.Submit CV