JobsView all vacancies
Server Lead ProgrammerApply Now
We are looking for a Server Lead to join our independent games studio in Farringdon, Central London, England.
Payload Studios are makers of the award-winning TerraTech and also operate the Tentacle Zone, a community led developer network.
What You’ll be doing
You’ll join our highly talented code team and will be responsible for developing and enhancing online-backend systems for our games.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Developing reliable and high performance online services for our games
- Making key decisions on server side architecture
- Providing advice to the rest of the team on server side issues
- Building and managing a small server side team of programmers
- Planning and organising tasks, to deliver features to a schedule
- Working with the other Leads to coordinate tasks and technical implementation, based on the current roadmap. This will include working with other disciplines such as Design and QA
- As a senior team member you’ll help mentor junior team members and plan their skills development
- Creating and maintaining technical documentation as required
Required Experience and Skills
- Professional Game Programming Experience (at least 4 years) including 1 or more shipped games
- Proven ability to organise and coordinate a small team of programmers
- Working knowledge of C++, NodeJS, SQL/NoSQL, Docker and orchestration software such as Marathon or Kubenetes
- Experience with designing around databases, replication, reliable/unreliable protocols, security, high throughput requirements and stateless vs stateful server design
- Knowledge of the client-server model, Game API design, load balancing, analytics and 3rd party integrations
- Conceptual grasp of user generated content, persistent environments, large simulated worlds
- Excellent communication and writing skills
We’re an award-winning independent studio based in Farringdon, Central London. We share our offices with other independent developers as part of the co-working space we offer (The Tentacle Zone). Our office also has an event space and we run regular events for the Payload team as well as the wider games community.
Payload Studios recently announced that Tencent, a leading internet and technology company, has invested a minority stake in Payload. This investment will support the growth of our team and development of future titles with Payload’s signature community-driven model. We have a major announcement later this year about what’s coming next from Payload.
At the moment, due to COVID-19, we are working remotely but will be returning to the office once it is safe to do so (the safety of our Payloaders is our number one priority). Once we have returned to the office there will be the option to work from home on a part-time basis.
The studio offers a range of benefits for all our employees:
- For cycling fans our Cycle to Work Scheme enables employees to save money and spread the cost of a new bike.
- To support our team’s wellbeing we offer an Eyecare scheme, Employee Assistance Programme (which includes mental health support) and trained Mental Health First Aiders.
- We offer a generous family policy including 8 weeks fully paid paternity leave and 6 months fully paid maternity leave.
- Great central London office location near to several excellent food markets and lots of great pubs and restaurants. The office also comes equipped with free fruit and refreshments, an arcade machine and table football.
- We love to socialise and celebrate together and hold regular staff socials (always with non-alcoholic options available) including our well-known Summer and Christmas parties. We also encourage staff to take part in lunchtime clubs such as Magic the Gathering, Book Club or Table Football.
- Since working remotely in addition to staff socials, we’ve been hosting a regular mini quiz and coffee break clubs to help staff stay connected and social.
- We are, and always will be, a no crunch studio
Inclusion and Diversity at Payload Studios
Payload is proud to have a hugely talented team and we are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming workplace for all our staff. Our diversity initiative, Game On, encompasses all the steps we are taking to promote and support inclusion and diversity within our studio. We also run Game On events with the aim of accelerating positive change in the wider industry.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity within our teams.Apply Now
Don't see the role for you?
We're always interested to hear from talented people looking for a new challenge! Please send us your CV and let us know why you'd like to join the Payload team.Submit CV