Who are we?
What is this?
Other privacy policies may also apply to your data in connection with our games or services. For instance, if you obtain or play our games via a console or digital distribution platform, the console maker or digital distribution platform owner may also collect and use data and their privacy policies will apply to this data.
You may be able to adjust your privacy settings on the device on which you play your game or the platform through which you obtained your game.
Changes to this policy
Part 1 – Analytics
Description. “Analytics” means data which is provided to us via your device when you use a Payload product or service, which are combined with similar data from other gamers in order to improve our products and services, or to help us to understand more about people who play our games.
The Data We Collect. We may collect some or all of the data described below. However, please note that the actual data which we collect may differ depending on the platform on which you use our product, and on the particular product you use:
- Your device ID (for mobile Apps or our websites). For PC or console games a unique ID may be generated for each user of that game which is game-specific and not related to any other identifier.
- The frequency and timing of purchases of Payload products, or the dates on which Payload products are first used.
- Information about your device, including PC configuration or specification (which may include CPU speed, memory, graphics card / processor and operating system).
- Information about in-game events and how you used or purchased our products or services. For example, the data collected could include the following: (a) that your in-game character was killed at a particular location while holding a particular weapon; (b) how long it took for the game or server to find you a game when matchmaking; (c) that you joined a particular lobby; or (d) that you acquired a particular DLC pack.
You may be able to adjust the privacy settings on your device to change the Analytics data which we can obtain.
How we use this data.
We use Analytics data for the following purposes:
- To monitor how any online products or services or features are operating. We do this in “real time” (sometimes known as “telemetry”) and we also look back over Analytics data for past events.
- To improve our products and services, including by identifying or fixing problems or bugs and balancing servers, and better understanding the PC configurations and specifications used by our customers.
- To understand the countries or geographic regions in which the users of our products and services are located.
Part 2 – Cookies
Cookies. Visitors to our websites and online platforms may be tracked by cookies as follows:
- “First party” cookies are used to personalise your experience when you return to the website or visit another Payload website. These cookies may allow features such as auto-login, welcome messages, pop ups or other targeted content like banners.
- “Third party” cookies are set by other companies. These include cookies which are set if you click a “Facebook” like logo on one of our websites. We do not set this cookie, and the use of this cookie will often be covered by the cookie and privacy policies of the company which provided it. These cookies are often used to show targeted advertisements to you when you are visiting other sites or social media. Some of these cookies can be associated with specific behaviour such as putting a product in a basket, but not buying it, which may allow other companies to show you adverts for that product or similar products.
You can adjust your browser settings to deal with cookies as you prefer, and you can delete cookies from your computer, although this might affect your experience of using our websites.
Part 3 – Other data provided directly to us
- Users of our online services. Payload holds the information provided directly to us if you register on our website (e.g. to use the Forum), or if you contact us directly (e.g. by sending us emails, bug reports, or using contact forms). We use this data in order to improve our products or services and to assist the persons contacting us.
- PRs, journalists and other industry contacts. Payload holds the contact details (including email addresses, names, job titles and telephone numbers) of PR contacts and other industry professionals who provide this information to us, as well as data which is publicly displayed by PRs (e.g. where their contact details are prominently displayed on their own web pages). We use this data in order to make contact with PRs and other industry professionals in the ordinary course of our business, such as sending press releases.
- Marketing emails. We may maintain mailing lists. The data in these mailing lists (including email addresses and other data) is voluntarily provided to us or directly to our third party mailing platform provider, usually through an online sign-up form but sometimes through postcards or fliers which have been filled in at public or trade events. The data and the use we make of it depends on the list but usually includes email addresses, region and preferred products or consoles.We use this data to send marketing emails to the people who provided this data to us, including via third party mailing platforms. These emails may be regular or irregular, and may be in the form of newsletters. We do not provide this data to companies outside of our company. You can opt out of these lists at any time by contacting us as specified below or by following the “unsubscribe” instructions sent with each email.
- IP Addresses. In common with other internet services we log IP addresses for requests made to our servers. These logs do not contain other personal information, and only note that a request was made to the server for a particular resource or action. We do not store IP addresses in, and cannot associate IP addresses with, Analytics data.
- Kickstarter Backers. We have the names, email addresses and physical addresses for our Kickstarter backers. We use this information for the purposes of updating our Kickstarter backers and providing agreed backer rewards and for compliance with tax and accounting rules.
- Other data. We also hold additional personal data which is provided to us in the course of our business. This may include email address, postal address and telephone numbers.
The data we receive through Unity Analytics are generally aggregated and anonymised, and are only used for improving our games.
We may use other third party service providers to assist us with Analytics data for mobile apps and websites only. These may include Google Analytics, Facebook and Adroll. This does not affect the nature of data collected, or how it is used, as described above.